Having a valid Will is one of the most important things you can do for yourself and your family. Not only does a Will legally protect your spouse, children and assets, it also spells out exactly how you would like things handled when you’re gone.
Almost 50 per cent of West Australians do not have a valid Will, therefore under WA law without a legally valid Will your estate is divided according to the rules of intestacy and may not be divided how you would have liked.
With a valid Will, it is often quicker and cheaper to administer your estate and most importantly less stressful for your loved ones.
Here are seven reasons why you should write a Will:
1. Achieve peace of mind
First and foremost, a Will puts you in control and provides you with the peace of mind knowing that your wishes will be fulfilled.
2. Avoid stress for your family
Ensure your loved ones are not left to make your decisions. A Will gives your loved ones direction and one less thing to worry about during an already emotional time.
3. Appoint a guardian for your children and provide for them financially
You can decide who will take care of your minor children and make sure they’re looked after by someone you love and trust.
4. Say who you want to look after your pets
Our pets are part of the family. If you have dogs, cats, or any other pets you can make provision for them in your Will and ensure they are taken care of.
5. Decide who benefits from your estate
Make sure your assets including your precious items are distributed how you would like.
6. Provide for your favourite charities
You may wish to include a gift in your Will to a charity you feel passionate about. It allows your legacy to live on and reflect your personal values and interests.
7. Appoint executors you trust
You can decide who will administer your affairs, someone who is honest, trustworthy and organised.
Prepare your Will online
With the rise in popularity of online Will writing, Cancer Council WA has partnered with two of Australia’s leading online Will writing platforms, Safewill and Willed to offer the WA community a discounted online Will. The online Will writing platforms enable you to write a simple Will quickly and affordably from the comfort of your home.
Currently you can enjoy a 20% discount on the price of writing an online Will. Simply visit Safewill or Willed to get started.
For more information
- Find out more information on leaving a Gift in your Will or read some inspiring stories about how Gifts in Wills have made a difference to the lives of West Australians affected by cancer. or
- Find out more information about on Will writing services visit Safewill or Willed to get started.
- Get in touch with our Planned Giving Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 08 9212 4333.