Julie and Kevin Boyd, together with lifetime friend Mal Kent, are hoping to raise more than $1,000 at their annual Biggest Morning Tea, to reach an incredible $10,000 raised since they hosted their first event in 2009.
Julie said they were inspired to host their first Biggest Morning Tea 14 years ago after losing a close school friend to breast cancer.
“We have an incredible friendship group that began around 60 years ago at primary school and high school,” Julie said.
“So when we lost one of our dear friends to breast cancer, 14 of us got together at our house in Huntingdale in May 2009 for our first Biggest Morning Tea.
“Since then we have unfortunately lost three more dear friends to some form of cancer.
“Last year we had more than 50 people attend our event and we are expecting about the same this year when we gather under our patio on May 25.
“We know every dollar raised helps support those impacted by cancer, so we encourage the community to sign up to host their own event or jump online and donate.”
Cancer Council WA Community Engagement Senior Coordinator, Lauren Stuart, said she was in awe of Julie, Kevin and Mal’s commitment.
“Cancer Council WA is so grateful to Julie, Kevin, Mal and their friends, for their continued support for Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea,” Ms Stuart said.
“This year Cancer Council WA is hoping to raise more than $1.3 million to continue our life-saving cancer research, prevention, advocacy and support programs.
“For 30 years, Cancer Council’s Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea has brought together millions of Australians over a cup of tea in support of those affected by cancer.
“It doesn’t need to be fancy – your Biggest Morning Tea could be at home with friends or family, a simple morning tea in the office with workmates, a virtual get-together, or a gathering in the local community or at school.
“Simply register online at biggestmorningtea.com.au, set a date in April, May or June and start sending out your invites.”
About the event
- Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea is officially held on Thursday 25th May 2023, however you can register to host at any time throughout May or June
- Join over 500,000 hosts who have come together over the last 30 years to make a difference to Australians affected by cancer
- Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea is a community event that raises vital funds to make a big difference for those impacted by cancer and is one of Cancer Council’s leading fundraisers
- Anyone can host an Australia’s Biggest Morning Tea. Simply register online, set a date in May or June and start sending out your invites – and don’t forget to make it a special birthday celebration this year as we turn 30!
- Make it personal and #HostYourWay – whether it’s at home with friends, in the park with your family, or at work or with your local community – you decide
- Whichever way you choose to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Biggest Morning Tea, every dollar you raise will make a huge difference
- Since it began, 30 years ago, Cancer Council’s generous community of supporters have raised more than $200 million by hosting morning teas
- This year, your generous support will assist in raising over $13million to help everyone affected by cancer right across Australia, funding life saving research, prevention and support programs
- To register visit www.biggestmorningtea.com.au or call 1300 65 65 85