A diagnosis of cancer can mark the beginning of a journey full of emotional, physical and practical challenges. For country cancer patients, these challenges are amplified. With limited treatment centres in regional WA, there is often no choice but to travel to Perth for treatment. In Perth, country cancer patients are isolated from their home, support networks and face the added financial burden of finding temporary accommodation.
Our Crawford and Milroy Lodges help to reduce the added hardship country cancer patients face by providing accommodation and support services close to treatment centres in Perth.
Crawford Lodge, to us is more than just a convenient form of accommodation; it’s a home away from home, a place where as both patient and carer we can stay together. Crawford Lodge removes the stress and financial burden of finding long or short term accommodation when travelling from the country for treatment, helping to ease the stress of the journey ahead… and the staff are pretty amazing too!
More than a place to sleep
Our Lodges also provide an array of free support services to help families during this difficult time. Support services include:
- Guidance and assistance from a qualified Cancer Support Coordinator
- Wig Service, where trained volunteers assist patients with fitting a wig, turban or beanie to overcome the psychological challenge of hair loss
- Weekly access to an exercise physiologist
- Transport to treatment to reduce stress and the financial burden of getting to appointments in the city.
- Complementary therapies such as massage, reiki and reflexology to help patients copy with side effects of treatment and to improve overall wellbeing.
How you can help
You can adopt one of the 88 guest rooms at our Crawford or Milroy Lodge for a year with a generous donation. Your gift will help us provide accommodation and support services to country cancer patients and their carers when they need it most.
Donations to this program start at $5000 per annum for a single room and vary by room size.
Your donation will help cover the costs associated with operating, maintaining and cleaning your adopted room, ensuring guests have a safe, clean and comfortable place to stay in their time of need. Your donation will also help provide the vital support services that are specially tailored to help reduce the burden for country cancer patients.
By adopting a room at a Cancer Council WA Lodge, you are providing vital support, comfort and a home away from home for every country cancer patient and carer who stays in your room over the year.
How your adoption is recognised
- Opportunity to choose the room you wish to adopt (subject to availability)
- Your adopted room will display a plaque recognising your adoption for the duration of your support
- Biannual impact report to demonstrate how your donation is helping
- Official certificate recognising your gift
- Opportunity for a photo presentation at your adopted room
- Tax receipt for your donation
- First option to renew the adoption on your room at the end of your commitment
For more information
Please contact our Philanthropy Coordinator, Gabi Nind, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling (08) 9212 4331 for more information, to Adopt a Room, or to arrange a tour of one of our Lodges.